Skip to main content

Game Submitted to ADC2 - Galactic Guardian: Zap GPS

I finished my game and submitted it 6 hours before the deadline of 31 Aug 11:59:59 PT. No death march to the last minute here!

It was a bit of a crunch because a week ago my throat started feeling gluncky and by Wed I knew I was not well. (Or at least less well than usual.) Today is the first day I feel okay. But I persevered. My wife, Shari was really supportive taking over the cooking and a couple other household tasks I usually perform. I am retired but she still works as a college professor. Fortunately, it was the first week of classes so she didn't have much grading or other work to do. Not that cooking was a big deal because all I wanted were BLTs and cereal most of the time. We did manage a Crosby, Stills and Nash concert last Friday evening which was a good time away from everything.

You can see the material that appears in the game Info at Mystic Lake Software. I need to do more with the web site but wanted to get that page up quickly. I'll be using the web page for describing the game for users and, possibly, some of my thinking about the game itself. In this blog I'll discuss the technical development. There is bound to be some overlap but I'll keep that to a minimum.

The game came together pretty well. I went to the doctor Thursday morning, annual physical scheduled a few weeks ago, and took the Android with me. While waiting in the examining room I played the game and found it more interesting than I had realized. Of course all the time I had played it previously I was watching more for problems or if something I'd just implemented worked. That was the first time I'd just played with it.

The weekend before my granddaughter Meg had her 10th birthday. I showed her the game as it was then and she found it interesting. She went over to my mother and described it to her quite excitedly. That was encouraging.

I doubt that the game will have enough pizazz for the developers challenge but you never know. If I didn't enter it I surely couldn't win so may as well try. Plus it gave me a deadline to work toward and use as an explanation to others about why I was busy.

Next task is to make some minor changes and submit it to the Android market so it will be direclty accessible to all, not just those who will judge. Then on to making some improvements...and maybe make it a paid for application.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sensor - Accelerometer & Magnetics

Just as I was finishing my first look at the accelerometer and magnetic field sensors a couple of threads cropped up on the Android Developer's group:

http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_frm/thread/1b42c48ce47cb1c9/720c6f4f8a40fc67#720c6f4f8a40fc67

http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_frm/thread/2e14272d72b7ab4f#

I had the basic code working so dug a little deeper into the rotation routines and the timing. I posted responses on the threads but want here to dig into the details more.

First some observations applicable to my G1:

The sensors report approximetly every 20, 40 and 220 msec for FAST, GAME, and NORMAL.
A sample may be missed for a specific sensor but usually one of them will be generated - but sometimes all can be missed.
The magnetic field sensor is most reliable with only a few drops. The other sensors are dropped considerably more often.

A caveat in all this is the way I setup the sensor handling may make a difference. I have a singl…

Programming Languages Used for SRR

I asked at the SRR Challenge about the languages and vision processing used by each team. Here is what I found:

Team Language                       Vision Processing
Intrepid                         C++ / Matlab                                           Kuukulgur                     C++                                          OpenCV Mystic                           C++                                          RobotRealm SpacePride                    RoboRealm state machine          RoboRealm Survey                           C++, Python                             OpenCV Middleman                     LabView                                   LabView UCSC                           C/C++                                      OpenCV Waterloo                       C++, Python                                             WPI                              C++                                                              Wunderkammer             Python                                      ROS …

Shifting Gears - iRobot Create

I'm shifting gears to robotics. Awhile ago I got an iRobot Create. Its basically a Roomba vacuum cleaner with the guts removed to make a cargo area. In this area is a 25-pin connector that provides power, TTL serial port, digital and analog I/O.

I also got a Command Module (CM) which fits onto the connector. The CM is an Atmega 168 processor that adds some additional I/O. It can be programmed to control the Create. I did so and basically reproduced the wandering behavior of the Create. It move around, bumps into things and turns away from what it hit. I added some additional behaviors such as if it got trapped, i.e. caught in the same place for a period of 10 secs, it would move to extract itself.

I want to do more with robots, such as entering in a RoboMagellan contest. That requires an outdoor capable robot that does a lot more than bump into things. A key component to me is vision. Maybe I could do that with the CM and another processor (like the CMUCam) but I really didn't …